Thursday, July 28, 2011

Stage 6

I really enjoyed reading the blog, "Cost vs. Lives of New Pollution Rules" It was very insightful and the author made some very good points. I agree with "hook em freedom writer" that the cost of cleaning up our air today is very important and will benefit our health in the future. Not to mention how important it is to leave our earth in good condition when we leave for the generations after us. However, I can't blame Rick Perry and the rest of the Republican party for being a little skeptical, this operation will cost over $800 million annually, and who knows how this will actually benefit or to what extent. I felt like you came off as a little condescending toward the Perry and the republicans, consider how much pressure our state government is under with our budget and funding education, now we want to throw $800 million toward cleaning up the air? Like I said before, I believe in taking care of our environment but we are going to have to be patient when speaking about solutions that cost $800 million dollars annually.

You mentioned in your article that the health benefits would be $120 to $240 billion dollars, and I realize that these numbers came from some extensive research and calculations, but you have to remember that its just a prediction. At the end of the day no one knows what the exact benefits will be, or even if they will land in that same 120 to 240 ballpark.

In closing, I just want to say that I agree, I am all for a cleaner planet, but we have to be patient with those in charge, especially when talking about a large portion of a budget being used for one element of one of the many problems we face in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment